Killed on the Red Signal

Wearing a Helmet or a Seat Belt is useless. Yes it is. I am not trying to demean the initiative but I have my reasons for saying this.

Let’s say “Wearing a Helmet or a Seat Belt “ isn’t enough. Let’s take this drive to the next level, where I believe the safety is completely taken care of.

Disclaimer: I am riding for past 7 years on Mumbai roads, so my framework will be taking Mumbai into consideration.

Let’s discuss the same Topic wise taking each important issue into consideration:

Traffic Signals:
Those colorful bulbs do not hold real great significance and I can draw a parallel to prove it. We see our surrounding full of lights during the Diwali day where we enjoy the ambience but don’t know why they exist. Wearing ISI certified Helmet fully strapped waiting on Red Traffic signal and a car with the driver wearing a seat belt can run me down (smashed) as he doesn’t care about the signals existence. “I am unsafe”.

Zebra Crossing:
Those Black and White stripes on the Road look nice but no one knows why do they exist. I stand behind the Zebra crossing only to hear Autowala’s, Carwala’s and others abuse me so that I can go ahead and not allow the people from the most populated city in the world to cross. I could be beaten up for doing so. “I am unsafe”.   

Traffic Cops:
Why respect them if they don’t respect their profession? I call them Ambush hunters as they stand atleast 20 meters away from the major Signal behind some cover just to pounce on the once who jump the signal. They don’t catch all of them, they have their profiling standards for the vehicles to be stopped. If we think deep, Traffic cops can become great marketers as they understand the art of Targeting really well. I get into an argument with them as to why they don’t stand near the signals which will help them monitor the traffic efficiently. I could be jailed for doing so while I have my helmet on and carrying all the bike papers. “I am unsafe”.

Lane cutting:
No no! It’s not a new hair cut style. You will know what I am referring to if at all you ever participated in a 100 meter running race in school were you had to run on your Track numbers. If you cut the lane, you are disqualified. I am sure my road colleagues never played the sport in the School. A Driver wearing  seatbelt and speeding on a Zigzag route could smash me while I try to follow the Lane discipline and my helmet is on. “I am unsafe”

Phew!
While I feel really safe with the Helmet on, yet I am afraid of the people who do not understand the Traffic laws.

“I believe road safety can be achieved by promoting the usage of Safety gear and the traffic Laws to the public.”

It’s a great movement taken by Nissan Safety Driving Forum and I appreciate it as I believe I am a Law abiding citizen.

Comments

  1. Good post Kshitij.
    Considering the current situation, following too much of law is also hazardous.

    As when a biker waits at the signal after 11-12 pm, car/truck coming from behind might smash the biker at the signal, so alertness is also needed at this point. I know nothing a biker can do in such a situation. At least he knows Death is arriving :(.
    Yes, I do Respect when you wait at the singal after 11 as well, but when you wait in the middle of the road; Yes, You are unsafe
    As it is correctly said and the tag line that I love "Roads are filled with idiots"... Yes, you are unsafe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this interesting post.

    Please visit FB page - Safer Highways - and like it. Please do post your suggestions and experience about Indian roads and driving on this page. It serves as a feedback to Highway Authority of India.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment